💡 When setting up Windows for the first time, you will be asked to choose between "Set up for personal use" or "Set up for an organization".
1. Personal – Use this if you are an individual or your organisation does not have a domain.
2. Organisation – Use this option if your organisation has a domain.
1. Personal – set up without a domain
Follow these steps to create a local account on your new PC. If your organisation has a domain, please follow the other route below. Check with us if you are unsure which route to follow.
🌐 Please note: do not connect to the internet – this setup process will break if you do this. Please follow the sequence below instead.
- Turn on the PC and choose Set up for personal use.
- Do not connect to the internet. Instead choose Skip at this stage, and enter your first name under "Who's going to use the PC?".
- Set a password to protect your account. Set security questions and answers in order to recover your password, if prompted to do so.
- Accept or decline the tracking and advertising options for Windows 10 – we recommend selecting No/Decline on all options for privacy reasons.
- Once you have completed the first time setup process, you will see your Windows desktop. Connect to the internet e.g. by connecting to wifi as usual.
- You can now complete your own further setup and/or give us remote access to assist you. To give us remote access please download and run our remote support app from here (you can also get to this by typing the address dfit.io/quicksupport), and send us the 9-digit code once you are ready.
2. Organisation – set up with a domain
Follow these steps to connect to your organisation’s domain on your new PC. Please only follow this route if your organisation has a domain. Check with us if you are unsure which route to follow.
- Turn on the PC and choose Set up for an organization.
- Connect to the internet when prompted e.g. by connecting to wifi as usual.
- Enter your username and password for your Microsoft 365 account (these are the same details as for your email, Teams, OneDrive, etc).
- Create a PIN to easily access your PC, if prompted.
- Accept or decline the tracking and advertising options for Windows – we recommend selecting No/Decline on all options for privacy reasons.